A practiced editor gives advice to have your projects published within an journal that is international
By Angel Borja, PhD Posted on 24 June 2014 Updated on 10 July 2019
Editor’s note: This 2014 post conveys the advice of a researcher sharing their experience and will not express Elsevier’s policy. But, as a result to your feedback, we worked with him to upgrade this post therefore it reflects our methods. As an example, as it ended up being posted, we now have worked extensively with scientists to improve presence of non-English language research. – July 10, 2019
Change: in reaction to your feedback, we now have reinstated the first text in order to observe how it absolutely was revised. – July 11, 2019
How exactly to make a manuscript for international journals — Part 2
In this series that is monthly Dr. Angel Borja attracts on their considerable history as a writer, reviewer and editor to offer suggestions about planning the manuscript (author’s view), the assessment procedure (reviewer’s view) and just what there clearly was to hate or love in a paper (editor’s view).
This short article may be the 2nd within the show. The very first article ended up being: “Six things you can do before writing your manuscript.”divider
Dr. Angel Borja is Head of Projects at AZTI-Tecnalia, research center into the Basque nation in Spain focusing on marine research and meals technologies. Previously he had been also Head associated with Department of Oceanography and Head associated with Marine Management region. Their primary subject of research is marine ecology, and contains published a lot more than 270 efforts, from where 150 come in over 40 peer-reviewed journals, through their long profession of 32 several years of research. During this period he has got examined in numerous topics and ecosystem elements, having an ample and multidisciplinary view of marine research.
Find out more about their work on ResearchGate, ORCID and LinkedIn, and follow him on Twitter (@AngelBorjaYerro).
When you organize your manuscript, first thing to think about is the fact that the purchase of parts will be really distinct from your order of products for you list.
Articles starts with all the Title, Abstract and keyword phrases.
This article text follows the IMRAD format, which responds to your questions below:
- Introduction: What did you/others do? Why did you are doing it?
- Practices: just exactly How did you will do it?
- Outcomes: just exactly exactly What did you find?
- Discussion: just what does it all mean?
The primary text is accompanied by the final outcome, Acknowledgements, References and Supporting Materials.
Although this is the published framework, nevertheless, we frequently make use of various order whenever writing.
Procedures to organizing your manuscript
- Prepare the numbers and tables.
- Write the strategy.
- Jot down the outcomes.
- Write the Discussion. Finalize the outcomes and Discussion psychology research paper example before composing the introduction. The reason being, in the event that conversation is inadequate, how could you objectively indicate the significance that is scientific of work with the introduction?
- Write a conclusion that is clear.
- Compose a compelling introduction.
- Write the Abstract.
- Write a descriptive and concise Title.
- Choose Keyword Phrases for indexing.
- Write the Acknowledgements.
- Jot down the Recommendations.
Upcoming, I’ll review each step much more information. But you should do that will set the groundwork for the entire process before you set out to write a paper, there are two important things.
- This issue become examined ought to be the issue that is first be resolved. Determine your theory and goals (These is certainly going in the Introduction.)
- Review the literary works associated with the subject and choose some documents (about 30) which can be cited in your paper (These will likely to be placed in the recommendations.)
Finally, take into account that each publisher features its own design instructions and choices, therefore constantly consult the publisher’s Guide for Authors.divider
Step one: Prepare the figures and tables
Understand that “a figure may be worth a thousand terms.” Thus, pictures, including numbers and tables, will be the many way that is efficient provide your outcomes. Important computer data will be the force that is driving of paper, which means that your pictures are critical!
How can you determine between presenting your computer data as tables or numbers? Generally speaking, tables provide the real results that are experimental while numbers in many cases are useful for evaluations of experimental results with those of past works, or with calculated/theoretical values (Figure 1).
Whatever your choice is, no pictures should replicate the information described somewhere else into the manuscript.
Another important aspect: figure and dining table legends needs to be self-explanatory (Figure 2).
Whenever presenting your tables and numbers, appearances count! To the end:
- Avoid crowded plots (Figure 3), only using 3 or 4 information sets per figure; usage scales that are well-selected.
- Think axis label size that is about appropriate
- Add symbols that are clear information sets which can be very easy to differentiate.
- Never ever consist of long bland tables ( e.g., chemical compositions of emulsion systems or listings of types and abundances). You can add them as additional product.
Each must have a scale marker, or scale bar, of professional quality in one corner if you are using photographs.
In photographs and numbers, utilize color only once necessary whenever publishing up to a printing book. If various line designs can simplify this is, never utilize colors or other effects that are thrilling you are faced with high priced charges. Needless to say, this doesn’t use to online journals. For several journals, it is possible to submit duplicate numbers: one in color for the online version of the log and pdfs, and another in black and white for the hardcopy journal (Figure 4).
Another problem that is common the abuse of lines and histograms. Lines joining information just may be used whenever presenting time show or consecutive examples information ( ag e.g., in a transect from coast to offshore in Figure 5). Nevertheless, if you find no connection between examples or there isn’t a gradient, you have to utilize histograms (Figure 5).
Often, fonts are way too little for the log. You need to just take this under consideration, or they might be illegible to visitors (Figure 6).
Finally, you need to focus on making use of decimals, lines, etc. (Figure 7)
Action 2: Write the strategy
This section reacts into the concern of how a issue ended up being examined. In the event your paper is proposing a method that is new you will need to add detailed information so an educated audience can reproduce the test.
Nevertheless, usually do not duplicate the important points of founded techniques; usage recommendations and materials that are supporting suggest the formerly posted procedures. Broad summaries or references that are key adequate.